Friday, July 10, 2009

Monica and Max Part 6 - Max's Two Girls


Avenger Girl was officially a media star. The day after the heist, Koi and I watched her interviewed on a news talk show, relating how she foiled our attempts to steal valuable Defense Department codes via the Treasury Department computers. A clever piece of hacking by the masked criminals that Avenger Girl figured out and used to block our theft attempts. Thank God Monica was lying even as she sat before the cameras in cowl and tight Avenger Girl outfit, upright and smiling.


“She reminds me of my kindergarten teacher,” Koi commented. “I’m really glad I blackjacked Avenger Chick, look at her!”


In fact, Monica looked great, the camera loved her and she loved it right back. The news anchor switched to more personal questions and asked if Avenger Girl was dating anyone.

“Of course crime fighting keeps me busy around the clock,” Avenger Girl said with grating modesty. “But there is a special man in my life, yes!”


Koi let out a sarcastic laugh. “What kind of desperate, limp-dick idiot would nail this bitch?”

I glanced at Koi in annoyance. “Someone lacking in any sense…” I grumbled.

The anchor asked Avenger Girl if she had any message for the youth of the city. Avenger Girl’s face took on a stern serious. She advised kids to stay away from crime, especially theft which was particularly vile some. “You know what they say in the criminal underworld, Roger?” Avenger Girl said to the anchor as she smiled into the camera. “Those who can, do those who can’t, steal!”

“I’m gonna belt her so hard the next time I…” I threatened.

“What, Max?” Koi asked, turning to me. “Nothing, don’t worry…”

Koi and I spent another hour making love, before I left, using the excuse that I had to speak to a fence about some goods I needed to move.


Riding the subway to Monica’s brownstone, I reviewed the outcome of our first heist. We had copied the codes and now had to work out how to correctly use them, a job for Koi and Chikara. That would be delayed for at least a week, as both Chikara and Sylvia were recovering from their injuries. I visited them both at a small hospital-clinic run by a doctor who treats criminals. Sylvia was pissed I had stopped her from killing Monica, but eventually saw the wisdom of avoiding a murder charge if we got caught. Chikara simply wanted her own piece of Avenger Girl and she was serious.


“Did you see me on TV, Max?” Monica asked me while we were eating dinner. “Yeah, thanks for the compliment on my career choice!”

Monica laughed at me. “Hey aren’t you worried someone from the school will recognize you and your identity will become known?”


“No.”


“Why not?” I asked.


“Because as Monica Ellison, I wear these glasses, changes me completely,” Monica tapped her reference librarian spectacles. “When I’m Avenger Girl, no glasses. It’s like being two completely different people.”


“Sure, I’m totally fooled myself…”


Monica kicked me under the table. “Sarcasm doesn’t flatter you, Max! Are you really going to give up crime after we bring Sylvia’s whole gang in?”


“I am,” I answered, for once telling the truth. “We should leave Koi out of this?”


“The short one I koed during questioning? Why?”


“Because she’s a kid…”


“So?” The tone of Monica’s voice began to rise.


“Her sister got her into this life, the one you…”


“Yeah, beat up in the computer room, I remember…Why should we spare her?”


“Well, Koi’s is the computer genius of the pair; we could use her knowledge to help fight crime when all this is over…”


Monica’s eyes widened and her teeth clinched. “You did fuck the little slut!”


“No Monica, come on, you know me better than that!” I saw her fist go back. “I sure do, Max!”


BAM!! Monica landed one right on my chin. I felt myself lift off the ground and saw an angry smile of satisfaction on Monica’s face as I plummeted to the floor. I was on my back, out cold.


I didn’t get any that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment